[warning - another long post]back from missions...
To be honest, I wouldn't call this a pivotal life-changing experience. Perhaps it's because we never left the United States or because I didn't feel like I suffered a whole lot during the missions trip [maybe that's just a misconception of what a missions trip is?]. I guess I always thought of a missions trip as an experience in my life where I would venture out to the middle of no where and proclaim God's word in the midst of storms, famine, and disease.
But on second thought, I did experience a storm of spiritual warfare; I saw a famine in which there is a strong hunger for God's word; and disease?...well, I did get sick on the trip - not exactly sure what I got though [although our team leader Matt thought it might have west nile! o_0]. I just know I spent almost a full day in bed with a headache, achy body, chills, and the feeling of wanting to vomit.
But, God is good ALL the time!
So here are a few pictures to illustrate the missions trip (most pictures are on pat's camera though)
Hiking at Red Rocks in Colorado

  
After a day or two, we headed out to the YWAM base in Golden, Colorado called Eaglerock. At the base, the team learned some skits, puppet shows and a dance that all portray God's mercy, goodness and love for us. These were all to be shared with the Navajo people once we arrived in Shiprock, New Mexico. It was during these four days that I finally recognized how powerful satan can be and how much effort satan will putforth to prevent us from doing God's work. It was also during these four days that I experienced that prayer is a powerful thing - and even more powerful if you truly believe in the power of it.
 
 
After 4 days of training at Eagle rock, we drove out to Shiprock [an 8 hour drive that ended up taking 12 hours!] and stayed at the Many Waters Missions base that was right outside the Navajo reservation. Every day, we would drive onto the reservation to help this one family with some projects - we built 2 shade arbors, one for the family and another for their sheep, and cleaned out/organized their shed. The Navajo family of seven consisted of the two elderly parents hindered by diabetes and age, three adult children with mental retardation, and the other two adult children in conflict, one working to support the family and the other troubled with alcoholism. We also had the opportunity to perform two of our songs and to pray extensively for the family.
When we weren't helping that Navajo family, we went to other areas of the reservation and nearby towns to perform the skits, songs, dances and puppets that we prepared back in Colordo. We definitely felt the prayers of all those who were praying for us and the team did an excellent job in presenting everything.
 
 
There were times that I foolishly questioned God on why He sent me on this missions trip because I didn't feel like I was doing anything for His kingdom, but God works in mysterious ways.
Deuteronomy 29:29 says
"The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law." Throughout the trip, I didn't really understand or see any significance of my presence on this missions trip and wondered why God hadn't revealed anything to me, but by the end of the trip, I realized I was blinded by my own unbelief. I lacked faith. Not faith in God, but I lacked faith that God has faith in me and that He can and will use me in His kingdom if I would just trust Him. People say that a small sin is still a sin. Likewise, God's work is God's work, no matter how small
I think it is.
[aren't we extremely blessed God doesn't think like us!?!]
There were so many other things that happened and so much to write about, but I can't possibly include everything. I will end on this note though: there's no other group of people or no other place I would have rather been during that time. Thanks J Crew. I miss you guys! =)
No comments:
Post a Comment